Go-Ahead for “Normal” International Summer School
15th-22nd August 2021
at Bryanston School, Dorset
REGISTRATION SYSTEM IS NOW OPEN
Whilst the Covid-19 pandemic is not over yet, the progress being made on vaccination programmes in the UK and internationally is at least encouragement that normality can return. We will of course continue to assess the situation but take heart that the UK Government plans to end social restrictions on 21st June, provided that progress continues to be made with the vaccination programme and Covid-19 infections fall as expected. It is too early to know whether there will still be restrictions in place for international travel but we will hope to see as many of our international student families as possible. The School and LSG Trustees therefore agreed that we can offer the normal 7 days’ international summer school but with a range of special measures in place to provide as much security against Covid-19 infections as possible. We will also retain the other two course structures that we considered previously as Contingency Plans should the situation worsen again and restrictions are re-imposed (see below).
Please read the information below on the special measures for the International Summer School as well as the revised Terms and Conditions under Costs on the Apply tab. A full refund will be provided to families that have to cancel due to Covid-19 reasons.
“Normal” International Summer School – 15th to 22nd August 2021
We will run the summer school as normally and safely as possible with all the usual activities – music, sports, socialising, excursions. The measures listed below are intended to give you as much confidence as possible in being safe and registering for the summer school.
Special measures will apply to provide as much security against Covid-19 infection as possible and are relevant to everyone attending the summer school:
- It is likely that we will require you and your family members to have a Covid-19 test and obtain its result within 72 hours of starting your journey to the School. These test results should then be confirmed to Philip Wake immediately by email or text message.
- Even if this testing is not made a requirement, it will remain a recommendation.
- We recommend that you have a Covid-19 vaccination before attending, if eligible and at all possible. Please advise Philip Wake if you have been vaccinated. This information should be entered in your Medical section.
- Do not travel to the School if you or any of your family test positive for Covid-19 within 2 weeks of the start date of the summer school.
- We will only implement testing on arrival at our cost, using the lateral flow test method, if required to do so by government regulations. Anyone testing positive will be required to leave immediately with their family members; see Terms and Conditions for Covid-19 related refunds.
- If we make it a requirement for you and your family to have a test before starting your journey and you do not do so or fail to provide the results before arrival, we will require you all to have a test on arrival and the cost of this will be charged to you. The cost is likely to be £30 per person.
- The School has substantial experience in operating Covid-19 Security protocols under government guidance and we will abide by those in force in August. We will update this section as more information becomes available but the protocols may include:
- Capacity restrictions in the Dining Hall (shift and queuing systems), concert halls, Sports Centre and classrooms
- Bedroom cleaning regimes
- Personal protection guidance – social distancing, hand washing, sanitiser, face masks, etc
- The Medical Centre and some other bedrooms will be held in reserve so that we can isolate anyone testing positive for Covid-19 but who is unable to leave the School immediately.
- As usual, arrangements will be made with the area’s medical providers (GP Surgery, hospitals, and dentist) to provide cover during the summer school.
- The Covid-19 Security protocols in force at the time of the summer school will apply to all, including teenagers whether in the Teenage House or staying with their parents.
Contingency Plan 1 – Social Distancing Restrictions still in place or re-imposed
Significantly reduced capacity at Bryanston School so we would run two courses of 4 days each:
Arrival & Welcome process Sat 14th 1-3 pm
Full Teaching Days Sun 15th to Tues 17th
Concerts Weds 18th am
Depart Weds 18th 2 pm
Arrival & Welcome process Thurs 19th 1-3 pm
Full Teaching Days Fri 20th to Sun 22nd
Concerts Monday 23rd am
Depart Mon 23rd 2 pm
If this Plan has to be implemented we would contact all the families booked on the “Normal” summer school to invite them to nominate which course they would prefer to attend. We hope you will appreciate that we may not be able to grant your preference due to the restrictions imposed on capacity and in the interests of providing a balanced course so may ask you to transfer to the other course.
It may be possible for families to book both courses – in which case priority will be given to families from outside the UK.
Special Covid-19 security protocols will be in force and are likely to be even more stringent than the ones applied to the “Normal” summer school detailed above.
Contingency Plan 2 – Major Covid-19 Restrictions re-imposed
Bryanston School closed for summer courses so we would again offer a Virtual International Summer School (VISS) as we did in 2020. The course structure would be as close as possible to the 4 days’ course in Contingency Plan 1 but would run from Monday, 16th August to Friday, 20th August.
If you have any questions, please contact Philip Wake by email: email@example.com
Bryanston, the London Suzuki Group’s International Summer School is an annual residential music course for string players and pianists aged from 3 to 18 years. It is now in its thirty-first year at the beautiful 160 hectare (395 acre) estate of Bryanston School, Blandford Forum, Dorset, England. See above for how the course will be run in August 2021.
Director of Music: Jillian Leddra
Co-Director of Music: Karina MacAlpine
Business Manager: Philip Wake