17th-21st August 2020
The 2 or 3 set lessons will take place between 9am and 12:30pm BST Monday to Thursday. Other video content will be accessible throughout each day. Optional extra lessons will be scheduled for afternoons. The Friday will consist of Instrument specific playtogethers and short videos showing some of the work and fun that was had during the the week.
VISS (Virtual International Summer School) has come about following the cancellation of LSG Bryanson International Summer School amongst many others due to COVID-19.
VISS can in no way reproduce the energy and inspiration gained from a live Suzuki Summer School but hopes to be able to offer an alternative musical experience to help students and families over the long summer months. Taking groups classes online is an opportunity to work deeply in a way that isn’t possible in a live class setting. Zoom classes give opportunities to delve into the history, put into context and learn through visual and audio examples as well as daily interaction with likeminded students of similar age and ability.
Live lessons will be taught on Zoom.
Video content will be available to participants through restricted areas on this website.
Who can take part?
Violinists, violists, pianists, cellists and bassists who learn through the Suzuki Method. Members of all regional Suzuki associations are welcome.
Suzuki Early Childhood Education open to children ages 0-4
Please note, ALL LESSONS WILL BE IN ENGLISH.
What is offered?
- All registrants will opt to receive 2 or 3 classes of 40 minutes in length. These classes will have a maximum of 8 participants except choir which will have more.
- Each day there will also be either a morning warm up or a Tonalization, this may be live or pre-recorded.
- Registrants will also have daily access to 5 minute technique hot tips, philosophy presentations and Parent Talks in both video format as well as podcasts.
- Live one off workshops will be available including “How to be a practice Buddy” and “Arpezzato: A new style of cello playing?”. Watch this space for more!
- Enrichment classes including choirs, film music arranging, Improvisation and Alexander Technique.
- Extra Individual instrumental and Alexander Technique lessons available at extra cost.
Classes for String players
- Suzuki group classes. String players will partake in Suzuki group classes with a maximum of 8 students. Participants are offered a choice of 1 (Allegro package) or 2 group classes (Concerto package). Students taking part in the Concerto package will have a different teacher for each class with a focus on a different main piece.
- Choose 1 enrichment class. See below for a list of enrichment classes. Please check the suitability of this class for the age and ability of your child. Extra enrichment classes are available at an extra cost.
Classes for pianists
- Zoom along with your review!
Suzuki pianists will have an opportunity to lead a piece in a group setting during the week. A Review list will be given out ahead of time with a complimentary 2nd piano part recording to keep you company! Piano groups will also include multi piano arrangements of Life on Mars, Chim Chiminy, Jungle Book and Eleanor Rigby again with backing tracks arranged by the fabulous Graham Rix
- Choose 1 or 2 enrichment classes. See below for a list of enrichment classes. Please check the suitability of this class for the age and ability of your child. Extra enrichment classes are available at an extra cost.
Suzuki Early Childhood Education
- SECE classes are absolutely magical. There is lots of singing, many actions, much observation, taking turns, keeping the beat, lots of songs and rhymes that everybody will know, perhaps some that you might not but we can guarantee you’ll be singing them all day long, there is also so much joy! Start your child’s lifelong love of music by enjoying music together.
- Classes given by Keri Cassidy Taylor for children ages 0-4 with class capacity of up to 10 families.
- Choirs: 3 age related choirs taught by Frazer Scott. Suitable for all ages and abilities and instrumentalists.
- Musicianship & Theory: There will be a minimum of 3 ability streamed classes: Joan Taylor
- Film Music, understand, analyse and write: Emma Butterworth
- Violin Improvisation: Rick O’Connor
- Cello Improvisation: Jon Cottle
- Piano Jazz & Improvisation: Andrew Stamatakis-Brown
- Instrument specific Alexander Technique classes: Henry Fagg
- New string techniques, composing on the fly: Ivan Hussey AKA Celloman
- Techniques of improvisation/ creating a soundworld: Dan Swana
- Virtual Chamber Music – Ben Hancox
- Parent Choir in the evening at an extra cost: Frazer Scott
Faculty to include:
Violin & Viola– Nancy Borrett, Helen Brunner, Keri Cassidy Taylor, Charlotte Clemson, Heather Clemson, Mary Howels, Cate Howard, Karina MacAlpine, Fiona McLean-Beuchal, Sarah Nolan, Rick O’Connor, Louisa Stuber, Kimberley Wong, Janine Zillman
Allegro package: 1 x Instrumental Group class and 1 x Enrichment Class – £140 per week
Concerto package: 2 x Instrumental Group classes and 1 x Enrichment class – £180 per week
Extra add on Enrichment class – £60 per week
Extra add on Individual lesson of 30 mins – £25 per lesson
Extra add on Individual lesson of 45 mins – £35 per lesson
Suzuki Early Childhood Education, 4×40 minute session – £60
Adult choir – £25 per week
LSG members receive a discount of £10 per playing child.
Things to consider before applying:
- If you are applying for more that one child, do you have enough devises for them to use simultaneously?
- If you have more that one pianist, do you have more than one piano that can be used for lessons simultaneously?
- All lessons will be in English
- There will be a Safeguarding Agreement to complete and sign along with the billing process
- Is your Bandwidth enough?
For 1:1 video calling:
- 600kbps (up/down) for high quality video
- 1.2 Mbps (up/down) for 720p HD video
- Receiving 1080p HD video requires 1.8 Mbps (up/down)
- Sending 1080p HD video requires 1.8 Mbps (up/down)
For group video calling:
- 800kbps/1.0Mbps (up/down) for high quality video
- For gallery view and/or 720p HD video: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down)
- Receiving 1080p HD video requires 2.5mbps (up/down)
- Sending 1080p HD video requires 3.0 Mbps (up/down)
Deadline for applying is 6th July 2020
Course Director: Karina MacAlpine
Assisted by: Kimberley Wong, Sue Bird and Philip Wake
For course queries and music related matters contact Karina MacAlpine email@example.com
For payment matters contact Philip Wake firstname.lastname@example.org